Are you struggling with Xbox 360 Controller Setup? Have trouble turning on your Xbox 360 controller? Keep reading this article if that is what you are looking for. Hopefully, you’ll find this helpful. In this article, you will find the answers to your question.
In the modern era where games are developing by leaps and bounds. Gaming is being transformed by introducing modern techniques. It was initially played with buttons, but in the modern era, it is becoming more and more sophisticated. Playing it now requires just a touch of the screen.
These games, unfortunately, are becoming increasingly difficult to control with modern technology.
Here we’ll discuss a problem that appears when the Xbox 360 controller is not turned on. You may receive the following error message:
Please reconnect controller
This means that you can’t use the Xbox controller with your 360 consoles. This error could be caused by several factors. We will briefly discuss these reasons here.
Let’s start the journey.
Some Common Reasons for Xbox 360 Controller Won’t Turn On
Well, some issues can prevent the Xbox 360 controllers from working properly. Such as batteries, charge, and play kit, or perhaps internal defects. Some of these can be easily fixed with little difficulty. Here are the reasons for Controller 360 would Turn off.
- Faulted Battery: Xbox controllers fail to turn on most commonly because of a dead battery. Improper installation of batteries also affects battery performance.
- Battery contacts: excessive rubbing or resoluteness of the battery contacts and corrosion on the springs can cause the Xbox 360 controller to turn off.
- Defected Charging Cable: Sometimes, a defective charging cable causes Xbox 360 controllers to stop working.
- Firmware Problems: The Xbox 360 controller could be turned off if any updates are interrupted...
- Hardware Fault: Sometimes, something looks physically strong from the outside but has broken or is defective inside. So, the damaged hardware might be a significant reason for turning off the controller.
How to Fix the Xbox 360 Controller that Won’t Turn On
The following methods will enable you to troubleshoot Xbox controller issues.
Method#1: Fix the Battery & Power Issues
Weak or dead batteries can affect the performance of the console. The device’s speed, as well as its interaction with the user, are affected by this.
Here are the steps to fix the issue.
- Remove the battery packs and batteries.
- Shove the button on top of the battery cap, open it, and bring out batteries from the battery packs.
- Replace the batteries with new ones.
- Recharge the controller if you have a reusable battery pack. It can easily charge through a USB cable. Plug the console with the device to charge and let it keep aside for 2,3 hours to charge.
- Make sure that your Xbox turns on if you are using a USB cable to charge.
- You can play while your Xbox 360 is charging.
- When you attach your Xbox 360 controller to the console, its light turns in red. The light will turn green when it fully charges.
- Check out the metal contact at the bottom of a battery pack. If it is decayed, you will not be able to turn on the controller.
It would be best if you cleaned them.
Find out if your battery pack is loose or trembling. Then you need to fix it. This may cause your controller to turn off. The basic and general reason for turning off the Xbox 360 is mentioned above. If the problem persists, move on to the following method.
Method#2 Clean Corrosion and Use New Battery Pack
- Get a new Xbox 360 controller battery pack.
- Put the new pair of fresh AA batteries into the box and fix it in the controller.
- You should check if there is any corrosion on the springs where you put the battery pack.
- Apply the white vinegar to the earbuds and clean the corrosions from the springs
- Then fix the battery pack and try to turn on the controller
- You should use sandpaper to rub corrosion off the springs if the controller still won’t turn on
- You can also clean the springs with isopropyl alcohol
- Turn on the controller after installing the battery pack. Eventually, it will start working. It may not be, so try the following method instead
Method#3 Disable Interferences Connection
- Turn off the console and reconnect the controller. Keep your Xbox 360 off for 5 seconds
- After turning it on, reconnect the controller by following these steps:
- Keep pressing and holding the “X” but”o” to turn on the controller.
- Press the connect button on the front of the console.
- Then you must press the connect button on your controller within 20 seconds.
- The controller should be placed within the Xbox console. If the lights stop blinking on the console, it means your Xbox 360 controller is connected to the console.
- Remove all the wireless devices between your Xbox console to maintain a better connection. These devices included such as Microwaves, Wireless Routers, and Laptop.
- Remove all physical hurdles between your Xbox 360 controller and your console.
- Keep your Xbox near to a range of the controller.
The important point is that four controllers can connect at the same time. If four controllers are already attached, your controller will not connect.
If the issue persists, then move on to the next method.
Method#4 Reset your Xbox 360
The Xbox console must be reset if you are still encountering that issue. You should contact Microsoft Support before doing this since it is not recommended by Microsoft. The following steps will guide you through the process of resetting your Xbox 360.
- Keep pressing the “sync” button on the front of the console 360 for 30 seconds.
- Keep in mind that Xbox should be powered on.
- The lights will blink and whirl.
- The lights will turn off when you keep holding the button for 30 seconds.
- Unplug the power plug from the wall socket.
- Remove all input devices that are connected to Xbox console.
- Then wait 5 minutes. Plug in the power plug to the switch.
- Turn to connect all input devices, and also try connecting your Xbox 360 controller to your console.
Method#5 Faulted Hardware
Sometimes the controller won’t turn on due to the faulted or broken internal hardware. From an external look, you can’t assess what the problem is inside until you open it. Despite experimenting with all the above solutions, if your controller won’t turn on, you have to unscrew your controller with a small screwdriver.
To determine whether the fault is in your controller or Xbox console, try connecting your wired or wireless controller to a different device like a PC. If the problem is with the controller, try using the solutions mentioned above to fix the problem. However, if your Xbox console has a problem, find the faults and fix it.
However, if the problem still persists and your Xbox controller doesn’t work properly after you’ve tried all the possible solutions, then you may need to contact Microsoft’s help service or purchase a new Xbox 360 controller.
In order to solve this problem, we have provided you with every possible solution. It would be great if you could figure out how to turn on the Xbox 360 controller that won’t turn on. Apply these methods one by one to enable your controller to work properly.
Please share your valuable thoughts with us in the comment section below. You can also read How to fix Xbox error code 0X97E107DF.
Frequently Ask Questions
How to fix Xbox one controller that won’t turn on?
To fix Xbox one controller that won’t turn on, you need to take the following steps.
- Check the batteries are either weak or dead and replace them with new ones.
- Recharge the batteries if your Xbox controller has rechargeable batteries.
Does the Xbox 360 controller work on pc?
Yes, Xbox 360 controllers work on PCs. You can play many PC games with an Xbox controller instead of a keyboard or mouse. You can easily install the Xbox 360 controllers on any PC with Windows 10 and a USB port for connectivity.
Are Xbox 360 controller batteries rechargeable?
You can power the Xbox 360 wireless controller with AA disposable batteries as well as with the Xbox 360 rechargeable battery pack.
Do Xbox 360 controllers work on Xbox one?
No, Xbox 360 controllers can’t work on Xbox one because it’s not compatible with Xbox one console.