When your public Discord server has a large number of users, you may need a Mod to manage the administration aspect. Around the world, Discord is widely used for gaming, work, and casual chat via text, audio, or video.
People love to chat with like-minded people to get more exposure. Discord servers require admins or mods to approve new member requests, kick or ban users, and effectively manage their activities.
For this reason, you can give any trusted member the Moderator or Mod role, which will assist you in running your Discord server. In this article, we’ll outline the process of how to create the mod role and how to make someone a mod on a discord server.
So let’s get started!
Guidelines for Effective Discord Mods
Being a good mod on Discord involves several key responsibilities, such as enforcing the community’s rules, mediating conflicts, and helping to build and maintain a positive and welcoming community.
Understand and Enforce the Community’s Rules
Make sure you understand the community’s management and can implement them consistently and fairly.
When conflicts arise, be prepared to step in and mediate a fair and respectful resolution for all parties involved.
Be Active and Present
Be involved in the community and make sure to be present on the server as much as possible, so you can rapidly address any issues that may arise.
Be Respectful and Professional
Always be respectful and professional when communicating with others, even when enforcing rules or mediating conflicts.
Help to Build and Maintain a Positive Community
Help to create a positive and welcoming environment by encouraging healthy interactions and actively working to discourage negative behavior.
Be Approachable and Helpful
Make sure users can reach out to you for help, and you are ready to help them with any issues they may have.
Stay Updated with Discord Guidelines
Stay informed about Discord’s guidelines, as they may change over time, and make sure you’re following them correctly.
Be Ready to Take Feedback
Be open to feedback and be willing to make changes to your moderation approach if necessary.
Lead by Example
Be a model of the behavior you expect from other users in the community.
How to Make Someone a Mod on Discord Server?
To make someone a moderator (mod) on a Discord server, you must have the “Manage Roles” permission.
Only after that can you proceed with the further steps to choose a mod:
1. Create a Role
To create a role as a moderator on a Discord server, you must have “Manage Roles” permission. Here are the steps to create a moderator role:
- Open the Discord server you want to create a moderator role.
- Click on the server’s name at the top of the Discord window.
- From the pop-up menu, select the “Server Settings” option.
- Click on the “Roles” option on the left side of the screen.
- From the Roles menu, Click on the “Create a Role” button at the top of the screen.
- Type in a name for the role (e.g., “Moderator”) and click on the “Save” button.
- Click on the newly created role and give it the necessary permissions. (e.g., Manage messages, kick, ban)
Now you have created a role, and you can assign it to anyone you want by right-clicking on their name and clicking on the “Roles” option, then selecting the moderator role you just created.
Additionally, it is essential to have a clear communication channel between the mod team so everyone is on the same page.
If you are the server owner, you can change the role hierarchy of the server. This means you can move the moderator role above any other position on the server, so they have power over different parts.
Type in a name for the role (e.g. “Moderator”) and click on the “Save” button.
Click on the newly created role and give it the necessary permissions. (e.g., Manage messages, kick, ban)
Now, find the person you want to make a mod with and right-click on their name.
Click on the “Roles” option and select the moderator role you created.
The person will now have the moderator role and be able to access the moderator-only features of the Discord server.
2. Establish Role Settings
To mod on a Discord server, you must first have the “Manage Server” permission. If you do not have this permission, you will need to contact the server owner to give it to you.
Once you have the “Manage Server” permission, you can go to the server settings and access the “Roles” section. In this section, you can create new roles, edit existing positions, and assign roles to server members.
You can also assign different permissions to each role, such as the ability to delete messages, ban members, or access specific channels. It’s important to remember that the role hierarchy should be set up correctly so that the roles with more permissions are above those with fewer permissions.
3. Allot the Role To A Person
To assign a role to a person as a mod on Discord, you will need to have “Manage Roles” permission. If you do not have this permission, you will need to contact the server owner to give it to you.
How To Assign A Discord Mod On Android
To assign a moderator on the Discord app for Android, follow these steps:
- Open the Discord app on your Android device and log in to your account.
- Tap on the server where you want to assign a moderator.
- Tap on the three dots icon in the top right corner of the screen to open the server settings.
- Tap on the “Roles” option.
- Tap the “+” icon in the top right corner to create a new role.
- Give the role a name, such as “Moderator,” and tap on “Save.”
- Tap on the newly created role to open the role settings.
Scroll down to the “Permissions” section and toggle on the permissions you want the moderators to have, such as kicking and banning members, managing messages, and more.
· Tap on the “Save” button to apply the changes.
· Tap on the “Members” option to view the list of members on the server.
· Tap on the member that you want to assign as a moderator.
· Tap on the “Roles” option.
· Tap on the “Moderator” role to assign it to the member.
The member will now have the moderator role and will be able to perform the actions that you have assigned to the position.
It’s worth noting that you can also use third-party Discord bots that can automate the role-assigning process by using specific commands. Discord also has built-in roles that you can assign to users, such as Administrators, which have more permissions than Moderators.
You should be very careful when assigning roles and permissions, as users with these roles can take actions that can affect the entire server, such as kicking and banning users, deleting messages, and more. It is essential to trust the users you assign as moderators and to give them clear instructions on what their roles and responsibilities are.
How To Assign A Discord Mod On iPhone
Assigning a moderator in Discord on an iPhone is a straightforward process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Discord app on your iPhone.
- Locate the server to which you want to assign a moderator and tap on it.
- Tap on the three dots icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Server Settings” from the menu that appears.
- Click on the “Roles” tab.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Type in the name of the role you want to create (e.g., “Moderator”) and tap “Save.”
- Tap on the new role you just created, and tap on the “Permissions” tab.
- Toggle on the permissions that you want the moderator to have. For example, you can give them the ability to kick and ban members, manage messages, and more.
- Click on the “Members” tab.
- Locate the member you want to assign as a moderator and tap on their name.
- Tap on the “Roles” section.
- Tap on the “+” icon next to the role you want to assign (e.g., “Moderat).
- The member will now have the moderator role and the associated permissions.
You must have the appropriate permissions to be able to assign roles and permissions in a discord server. The process may vary slightly depending on the specific version of the Discord app that you are using.
How To Dismiss Someone From Being A Mod
To dismiss someone from being a moderator, you must have the appropriate level of access or authority within the community or platform where they are moderating. The steps will vary depending on the forum or community, but you will generally need to navigate to the settings or user management area and remove their moderator privileges.
It is essential to communicate clearly with the person being dismissed as to the reason for their dismissal and provide feedback or guidance for improvement. It is also necessary to document the reason for dismissal for future reference.
How To Edit A Mod’s Role On Discord
To edit a moderator’s role in Discord, you will need the “Manage Roles” permission in the server.
Here are the steps to edit a moderator’s role:
- Open the Discord server and navigate to the “Server Settings” menu.
- Select the “Roles” option from the sidebar.
- Locate the role of the moderator you want to edit and click on the three dots icon next to it.
- Select “Edit Role” from the dropdown menu.
- You can edit the role’s name in the “Role Name” field.
- You can also edit the permissions associated with the role by toggling the switches on or off.
- Once you have made the desired changes, click on the “Save Changes” button.
How To Delete Roles In Discord
You must have the “Manage Roles” permission to delete a role in Discord. Here are the steps to delete a part:
- Open the Discord server where the role you want to delete is located.
- Click on the server name at the top of the Discord client, then click on “Server Settings” in the dropdown menu.
- Select the “Roles” option from the left-hand menu.
- Locate the role you want to delete in the list of parts, then click on the three dots icon next to it.
- Select “Delete Role” from the menu that appears.
- Confirm that you want to delete the role by clicking “Delete” in the pop-up window.
If the role is assigned to any member, you will not be able to delete it. You can remove the part from members first before deleting the role.
We have discussed in detail how to make someone a mod on discord.However, becoming a moderator on Discord only takes a little while. Once the correct permissions are set up, you can assign people to various levels or roles to further grant or restrict individual permissions.
A competent team of moderators can function as community ambassadors to increase engagement and server usage in addition to making sure your rules are obeyed. Choosing the right people for the position is your responsibility because some servers are distinguished by their community and staff.
Can I Automatically Assign Roles In Discord?
Yes, you can automatically assign roles in Discord by using a bot or a third-party service. One popular bot for this purpose is MEE6, which allows you to set up auto-roles based on specific actions or conditions, such as when a user joins the server or reaches a certain level of experience points. Other services, such as Dyno, also offer similar functionality. You can also use Discord’s built-in permissions system to assign roles automatically based on certain conditions or user actions.
Do You Need To Pay Discord Mods?
It is optional to pay moderators on Discord, as they are usually volunteers who help manage and maintain the server. However, some server owners may compensate their moderators for their time and effort, especially if they are performing a large amount of work or if the server generates revenue.It is ultimately up to the server owner to decide whether or not to pay their moderators. Still, it is essential to be transparent about any compensation and ensure that all parties agree.