There’s no doubt in the fact that Fallout 3 has been every gamer’s favorite for more than a decade now. Many gaming communities have played this award-winning game from the day of its launch till now.
If you are here now, you must have been trying to run Fallout 3 on the latest Windows 10. But to your knowledge, this trendy role-playing game was developed only for the PS3, Xbox, and Windows 7. Disappointed? I would say rather not.
How to Get Fallout 3 to Run on Windows 10
Fallout 3 is an incompetent game for windows 10, and you don’t need to wonder why. Sadly, this game, which is hugely famous among the gaming community, is not compatible with the latest version of windows.
But have you heard? Where there’s a will, there’s away. So, I have some amazing fixes for you to run fallout 3 on Windows 10.
Run Fallout 3 on windows 10 – As an Administrator
One of the easiest ways to solve many problems is by running the program as an administrator. And if you want to run fallout as an administrator, here’s the method for you to do that effectively:
- To the very first, go to the fire explorer. You can do it by either double-clicking the computer icon or pressing the Windows button + E.
- Now look for the fallout 3 folder on your laptop/PC. It must be within the steam folder.
- Go to System Drive C, then to steam, and from there, go to steam apps. Now look for the fallout 3 folder.
- Also, to avoid all this fuss, just right-click the desktop app and click ‘open file location.’
- Right-click on the fallout.exe file and open its properties.
- Go to the compatibility option and mark the Run as an administrator option.
- Now click on Allow, followed by the OK option.
- Rerun the application, and enjoy playing your favorite game.
Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 – Compatibility Mode
If you’re unable to run it as an administrator, then in the compatibility mode, you can easily run fallout as a window 7 user. There will be no error as it was originally made for the 7th version of windows. Sounds about right? Ain’t it?
To do that, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the Fallout folder, describe above.
- Right-click on the fallout.exe file, go to the properties.
- Go to the compatibility option and then check the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- In the drop-down menu, you will see a lot of options. Choose the ‘Windows XP’ (service pack 3).
- Click on the Apply icon and then on the OK one.
Run Fallout 3 on windows 10 – by Updating the Graphics driver
A lot of times, it has happened that the game isn’t running due to a non-functional graphic driver. Yes, you heard it, right, friend!
A functional graphic driver is a must-have to run the game effectively. All you need to do is check if your graphic card needs any update and then run the game.
It can be done two ways either install the driver yourself or download and update it automatically.
- Download the Driver Yourself:
If you think this must be like dodging the bullet, you’re absolutely wrong. This simple method could be a lifesaver for you.
Just go to your graphic card company website, download the latest driver from there. Open the downloaded driver, run it and follow the instructions appearing on your screen.
- Update your driver automatically:
If you’re not into the fuss of going to the website, download the driver easy app then you can simply update it automatically. For that, you need to download this driver installing the app.
This app will cover it all for you, from detecting the windows version you’re using to check which driver needs to get updated. Just install the app and got free from all the headaches.
- Download the Drive Easy app from this link.
- After installing, run the app, click o the scan now button, and scan your computer.
- After scanning, it will show you all the drivers that need to be updated.
- Click update all and let the app do its work.
Now rerun the game and see if that works for you or not.
Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 – by Editing the fallout.ini file
This issue is more likely to occur if you have a dual-core processor, as it is not developed for dual-core PCs. Now what? Just look at these steps, and you will be all done.
- Open the file location by right-clicking on the Fallout app.
- Open the fallout_default folder.
- Press Ctrl + F and type Busethreaded and then press enter.
- Now change thebUseThreadedAI=0 to bUseThreadedAI=1. Also, Add the word iNumHWThreads=2 with it.
- Play the game again to see if this issue got fixed or not.
Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 – Reinstalling the game
It might sound a bit erroneous to you, but many problems got fixed if you uninstall the game and then install it again on your laptop or PC.
- Open your steam app
- Uninstall the game by right-clicking the game and then click uninstall.
- Restart your Laptop/PC.
- Now go to steam again, and download the fallout app again.
- Run it on your PC, and see if there’s still any problem or not.
Run Fallout 3 on Windows 10 – By installing the latest game patch
One should always be up to date with the latest versions and patches of their favorite game. Since Fallout, developers publish many patches to fix users’ problems while playing the game.
So there might be a chance that you got a problem with your old patch, and you need to get it fixed immediately. For that, go to their official website, download the latest patch, if any. Now rerun the game on your laptop or PC. and see if the game is working properly or not.
All the fixes above are there to resolve the fallout not working on the windows 10 problem. Be sure if the problem is the windows or the game; try the solution accordingly. You can try as many as you can to check which one works the best for you.
Don’t forget to tell me in the comments if you have any problems.
You may also like: