USB accessories disabled is a common problem with Mac users. This is actually a hardware error. Predominately, Business professional and other people who use external hardware to complete their tasks, often face an error notification USB accessories disable. If you are a Mac user, you are at the right place to fix this error.
Why Mac users encounter this error?
Either you are a Macbook pro user or a Macbook Air user, there are very possible chances that you will encounter this error. When you connect external hardware drives, camera, keyboard, and a hub to your USB A, USB C, and Thunderbolt 3 port which takes too much power from Mac. You experience the error USB accessories disabled.
Sometimes it is due to multiple external devices connected to the same Macbook. A Macbook can provide extra power to Apple devices (iPhone or iPad). A MacBook that uses the Windows Operating System can not provide extra power. So, long and short of the matter is you can resolve this issue by exercising some tips and tricks. Let us dive into the solutions without stretching the discussion.
Solutions against USB accessories disabled error
- Use self-powered devices
- Reduce the number of bus-powered devices
- Test connection cables
- Test the port
- Reset SMC
- Reset PRAM
- Reset Macbook
- Change logic board
Fix 1: Use self-powered devices
Self-powered devices are the devices that do not use power from your Mac to perform a specific task. They gain power from an external electrical source or from a battery. In order to get rid of the error USB accessories disabled, try to use self-powered devices. Because high data is being transferred with the help of USB ports.
Also you can use a self-powered USB Hub that will allow your all external devices to take power from hub rather than Macbook.
So, check whether the devices you have connected to your Mac are self-powered or not.
Fix 2: Reduce the Number of Bus-powered Devices
Bus-powered devices are the devices that gain power from Mac When they are connected to Mac. they are not connected to any external source to take the required power.
Consequently, An error pops up on the screen USB accessories disabled. If you have to use bus-powered devices, you should unplug the unnecessary devices so that Mac could perform well.
Fix 3: Test Connection Cables
There is another reason for the error USB accessories disabled, that the cable you are using to connect different external hardware may be a damaged cable. Remove your old cable and try to connect your hardware with another cable. If the issue is resolved by changing cable, that means cable was out of order.
Try to use the original Apple cable. Make sure you are using a power specified cable for different ports. If all the tricks mentioned above are not helpful for you, we will go through some other tricks to solve your problem.
Fix 4: Test the USB Port
To fix the error USB accessories disabled, try to connect external devices with another USB port. If there is an issue with the USB port then the issue USB accessories disabled will be resolved by using an alternative USB port. Because different USB ports acquire different power. A USB port can provide 900mA power and the other can provide 500mA power.
Check whether your external drive requires 500mA power or 900mA power and connect accordingly. To check the USB port power and required power by the external device go to the Apple icon, click on about this Mac, and then system report, click on USB on the sidebar and get information about the USB ports power.
Current Available means that the port in which device is connected to the Mac can provide 500mA and Current Requires means that the device which is connected to the Mac needs 500mA. In this way, Mac can perform smoothly. Hopefully, you will tackle your issue with this method.
Fix 5: Reset SMC(System Management Controller)
SMC is all about the hardware of Mac. When you experience a hardware related issue you need to reset SMC. It is a very suitable solution for the error USB accessories disabled. Methods to reset SMC for different Mac devices are different. Let us learn how to do it.
MacBook Pro or MacBook Air
For a MacBook Pro and Macbook Air with a removable battery, we shall fix it by removing the battery.
- Shut down your laptop and remove the battery
- Remove power adopter
- Press and hold the power key for 10 seconds
- Release the power key and insert the battery
- Connect the power adopter and then connect an external USB device to check whether the issue is resolved
iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro
It is very easy to reset SMC om iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro. It will take no time to reset SMC on these devices.
- Shut down the Mac
- Unplug the power cord
- Wait sometime almost 15 seconds and attach the power cord again
- Press the power key and run your Mac
Reset SMC for non-removable battery Mac
- Click on Apple menu and Shut down your laptop
- On the keyboard press Shift+Control+Option+Power kay at the same time
- Hold all the keys for 7 seconds
- After that release all the hold keys at the same time
- Run your laptop and connect external hardware
This is how you can reset SMC very easily to overcome the error USB accessories disabled.
People search also: Quick & Easy Steps to Download Asus Aura in Window 10 [Newbie’s Guide]
Fix 6: Reset PRAM(Parameter Random Access Memory)
Many of the users have resolved the error Usb accessories disabled by resetting PRAM. Let us have a sight of how you can do it without any difficulty.
- Press and hold the keys Command+Option+P+R
- Press all the keys till a grey screen appear in front of you
- Release the keys and you will hear a reset sound and you can boot your Mac as usual
I hope these fixes will be much helpful for you. If you are still facing the error USB accessories disabled, let me tell you another fix.
Fix7: Reset MacBook
Resetting is the way with which you can unscramble most of the problems related to software and hardware. If you have tried all the fixes given above and still you are encountering the error USB accessories disabled. Don’t worry at all, let me tell you how you can reset your Mac to get rid of this error.
- For resetting, 1st step you need to take is to Restart it in recovery mood. Click on the Apple logo on the top left corner and click on Restart
- You, Mac, will restart then you have to click on the keys Command+R, hold them pressed until you see Apple logo on the screen. After that release the keys and move to the next step
- Select your language and click on next indicating arrow
- Click on Utilities on the top bar, click on Disk Utility and choose to continue
- Click on Macintosh HD on the side Bar and then click on Erase
- After erasing this process will be completed, click on Done and close the Window
- Make sure your internet connection
- In the main menu click on Utilities and then Reinstall macOS
- Click on Continue
- Next screen will appear to you, click on Continue again
- Go through the Software License Agreement and Agree to it
- Choose your disk and click on Restart
- Congratulations! you have reset you, Mac, successfully, It will take some time to process final loading
Fix 8: Change Logic Board
I am going to introduce you to a very effective and last fix for the error USB accessories disabled on Mac. It is about to change Logic Board(motherboard in Andriod case). When USB ports are not making connections with the Logic board, you need to go to the Apple store to replace it. It is far better to replace a Logic board rather than buying a new Macbook.
If other things are working well, I recommend you to just change your Logic board.
I am very hopeful you will find the solution against a connectivity error USB accessories disabled in this article as this article provides deep knowledge about the fixes. But if you still have any confusion, I recommend a short video clip to make it clear.
Here, I tried my best to provide you all the possible and effective solutions to fix the error USB accessories disabled on Mac. Feel free to try All the fixes so that you could feel relaxed after winning a victory against the error. I hope you will find this article very useful.